The tagline at PEMCO Insurance, based in Seattle WA, says a lot: “We’re a lot like you. A little different.” A mutual company owned by their customers, PEMCO has uniquely served its community, its employees, and its customers as
equal stakeholders. With such flexibility, PEMCO developed a complex set of rules for their travel and expense program in support of these stakeholders. Modernizing PEMCO’s expense reporting required an equally flexible system.
- CHALLENGE PRESENTED
- Travel and expense reporting at PEMCO Insurance was a highly manual effort. There were virtually no system integration points in place, and reconciliation of expenses had become a daunting task. A modern toolset was needed, with minimal impact to end users.
- PROPOSED SOLUTION
- PEMCO turned to SpearMC to propose the use of Oracle’s PeopleSoft Expense Reporting module. SpearMC developed a ten-week program for the deployment program. In order to take advantage of the latest mobile functions available in Image Release 19, SpearMC also proposed an upgrade to the PeopleTools infrastructure to 8.55.
- RESULTS ACHIEVED
- In just four weeks SpearMC deployed the PeopleTools upgrade, and then ten weeks later the Expenses toolset was deployed. Visa bank files for expenses on corporate cards began to be integrated on a daily basis, allowing users to pull in expenses without manually coding them. Mobile functionality was deployed to allow users to download pictures of receipts. Expense approvals were automated through a workflow engine, further reducing the movement of paper transactions.
HOW WE HELPED PEMCO SUCCEED
- Through SpearMC’s alliance with Oracle, PEMCO was put on ‘Early Adopter’ status, providing access to key product personnel within Oracle.
- Templates for project deliverables enabled the team to focus on executing the plan, and drove to an on-time delivery.
- Experienced implementation consultants pointed out common road-blocks to bank integrations, and removed the roadblocks before they became issues.