A PLANNED AND DELIVERED STRATEGIC BUSINESS PROGRAM
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center (Fred Hutch) engaged SpearMC to help define an enterprise wide program tasked with achieving immediate and long term benefits. Fred Hutch developed a list of strategic objectives and improvement opportunities over the course of several years and selected SpearMC to partner with their highly experienced and adept Financial Management Information Systems team. SpearMC was the partner of choice based on deep domain expertise and a track record of delivering successful results at other healthcare clients.
- CHALLENGE PRESENTED
- Plan, organize and deliver a program to rapidly address multiple strategic objectives, upgrade PeopleSoft Financials to release 9.2 and evaluate and address new requirements due to international expansion.
- PROPOSED SOLUTION
- Plan and execute a three-phase program beginning with a business and technology assessment to evaluate scope, requirements and impacts across People, Processes, Technology and Information.
- RESULTS ACHIEVED
- Successfully delivered a PeopleSoft 9.2 upgrade while simultaneously addressing 4 strategic objectives, over 30 improvement opportunities and reducing customizations. International project phase provided an end-to- end International Grants operating model to support existing and future international growth.
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center partnered with SpearMC to assess, plan, and deliver a multi- phased business improvement program to streamline Finance and Grants Management processes, improve end-user experience and address international expansion for global projects and research.
HOW WE HELPED FRED HUTCH SUCCEED
- Program Management leadership and methodologies to plan, scope and deliver program initiatives
- Functional consulting support across Finance & Accounting, Grants, and Supply Chain Management
- Technical architecture and development support to augment internal technical team
- Delivered training workshops to prepare project team, business stakeholders and IT for upcoming changes
- Provided implementation strategies enabling the team to work more effectively
- Designed and deployed updated processes, software, configurations, features and functionality
STRATEGIC BUSINESS PROGRAM BENEFITS
By applying our standard business transformation methodology, SpearMC structured a three-phased program that launched Fred Hutch’s journey to create enterprise value at all levels of the organization. A sampling of key benefits included:
- End-to-end International Grants and Project based model to address unique funding, project, labor and supply chain requirements
- Enhanced budgetary controls by project type
- New edits and validations on source transactions to enforce data quality and reduce exception handling efforts
- Streamlined eProcurement Requisition with enhancements for the scientific and research community
- Enhanced budget reporting and online pre-validations
- Reduced volume and simplification of budget check errors
- New tools to streamline transaction entry
- Reduced customizations
- Upgraded to PeopleSoft 9.2 while providing new infrastructure and capabilities to apply PUM and selective adoption