Pfizer recently acquired Hospira, the world’s leading provider of injectable drugs and infusion technologies and a global leader in biosimilars. Pfizer and Hospira are now one unified team providing patients with access to one of the broadest and most diverse portfolios of difficult-to-manufacture, life-saving sterile injectable products in the industry.
- CHALLENGE PRESENTED
- Pfizer needed to align its business processes, master data and systems to support current and future business needs. With the previous acquisition of Wyeth and then Hospira, Pfizer business processes, systems, and organization were not globally consistent. Markets and sites had their own operating model. They had lack of common data elements with no single source of truth. Change was required to increase the speed of product launch, optimize product cost and mitigate the risks of investments.
- PROPOSED SOLUTION
- Pfizer adopted an ERP approach (driven by SAP and Ariba software) to support the worldwide business units and provide global, real-time visibility into Pfizer’s activities and business results. The ERP business processes were scoped with the entire value chain in mind, from product introduction to customer receipt and payment (Manufacturing Resource Planning, Sales & Operations Planning, Order to Cash, Procure to Pay, and Record to Report).
• Move the PeopleSoft HR solution to Workday
• Maintain the Ariba solution for indirect, non-manufacturing procurement
• Utilize SAP for Manufacturing and Supply chain, Finance and Commercial
- RESULTS ACHIEVED
- The following objectives were targeted by deploying the common model across the company:
• Integrated Financials
• Robust Management Reporting
• End to End Business Process Integration
• Simplified IT Landscape
• Headcount Efficiency
HOW WE HELPED PFIZER SUCCEED
- Prior to Pfizer acquisition, SpearMC helped Hospira manage the global upgrade of SAP ECC & APO from release 5.0 to release 7.0.
- Prior to Pfizer acquisition, SpearMC managed Hospira’s Global P2P project. The objective of the procure to pay transformation initiative was to deploy standard practices in the management of indirect spend for non-manufacturing sites, thereby addressing inadequate financial controls and enabling cost savings and improved cash flow for Hospira. The base solution leveraged the Ariba network and the elements of integration offered by the SAP RDS package.
- Supported the Deployment phase which included roll-out of the Pfizer ERP solution to all Hospira markets (including logistics centers and plants). Primarily responsible for assisting with the harmonizing of product, vendor and customer master data in order to create a single source of truth.